5.09.2012

No Shame: From a Box


I admit it.  I love Jiffy's muffin/pie crust mixes.  Cheap, good variety and easy to use.

Recently I've been experimenting with some different recipes that use these wonderful little mixes as the starter.  My latest love begins with a Blueberry Muffin Mix and becomes a delicious Blueberry Coffee Cake with Struessel Topping.  Yum. 

I usually make this in just an 8" square pan, but this time I decided to try it in my mini loaf pans so I could take some to a friend that wasn't feeling well.  Because we use the mix to start things off, it goes really quicly and you'll have a delicious breakfast in no time that people will ooh and aah about.  Ready?  Here we go.



Now, I have to admit that I actually got this recipe from the side of the Blueberry Muffin Mix box and then added a few changes, so I can't take complete credit for it.  In case you can't read my fuzzy picture with bad lighting, here is the ingredient list:

For the Cake



  • 1 pkg. Jiffy Blueberry Muffin Mix
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 T. butter, melted (I used this instead of shortening, because I don't really every cook with shortening...)

For the Struessel Topping



  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I like more than this, but this is a good place to start if you're not sure how you feel about nut ratios.)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 T. baking mix (I use Bisquick because I have it.  Jiffy also makes a mix like that, or I'm sure you could just use flour if you don't have either one.)
  • 1 T. butter, softened (not melted)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350...don't forget!

I like to do the struessel topping first so it's ready to go.   Combine all the dry ingredients (brown sugar, chopped nuts, cinnamon and baking mix) in small bowl. 


Mix that all together.


Add softened butter (I accidentally melted mine, and it worked okay, but you're probably better off with just softened butter...) and stir that together until it's crumbly.  Then set it aside.  It's cake time!


In other bowl, combine all the cake ingredients (Muffin Mix, milk, egg & melted butter) and mix it well.



Then pour that in a pan that you have sprayed with cooking spray.  If you're using an 8" pan, just pour it all in.  If you want to do smaller ones, just make sure you don't fill it more than halfway full.  I did mine a little less than halfway and they turned out really well.


Sprinkle struessel topping on top of cake mixture and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (give or take a few minutes depending on which type of pan you use).  You can check to see if they're done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of one and seeing if it comes out clean.  If it does, they're ready!


I let mine cool in the pan for a bit before trying to pull them out.


Now, wasn't that easy?  Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Can you give the time and temp for double recipe in a bundt pan?

    ReplyDelete