4.24.2012

Red, White & Blue

It's been a very patriotic weekend for me.  First off, I sold another set of my God Bless America blocks from my Etsy shop.  This is one of my favorite things I have on my Etsy. (I just sold another one today!)



But more importantly, one of my friends asked me to help out with her son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor (Congrats, Ben!).  Because it was a Boy Scout event, she decided to do everything in Red, White & Blue and it looked amazing!



My main contribution was 100 patriotic cake balls.  She brought me the supplies and told me I could be as creative as I wanted.  Here's what we came up with.  I was very happy with the finished product and so was everyone else because they were gone before the night was over!



There are a lot of tutorials out there about how to make Cake Balls and there are so many fun ways to decorate them, they are so versatile!  Here's a quick tutorial on how I made these particular ones.

Supplies:

  • Cake Mix (from a box) - I used Lemon and Strawberry for the two different kinds this time.  I will say that the more prominent flavors of both cake and frosting make it more delicious.  I did this once with Funfetti and it looked cool, but didn't taste that great because the cake was just a boring flavor.
  • Tub of Frosting for each cake mix - I used lemon for the lemon cake and vanilla for the strawberry cake.  
  • Chocolate for dipping, or Wilton Candy Melts in the colors you want.
  • Sprinkles
  • Mini Cupcake Liners
Each cake mix makes around 50 balls if you do them the size to fit into the mini cupcake liners like we did with these.

First, you bake the cake as directed on the box.  Easy peasy.  Then let it cool completely.  This is so the frosting won't melt when you mix it in.  I baked my cakes the night before and then the next morning finished them up.  Then you crumble the cake into a bowl.  Make sure it's in little crumbs, not big clumps or your cake balls won't stick together as well.  Then you mix in the frosting.  It can take anywhere from 1/2 to a full container of frosting.  I start with half and then work in more until I get the consistency I want.  It should look something like this.


You don't want it too sticky because you're going to rolling it into balls with your hands, so play around with the texture.  You can always add more frosting if they aren't coming together nicely.

Next, you roll the balls.  I used my cookie dough scoop (definitely worth getting one if you're making a lot of these!) so that my cake balls would all turn out roughly the same size, and it was the perfect size for them to fit into the mini cupcake liners!  Fill up the scoop, scrape it against the side of the bowl to get the extra off, and then plop that into your hand and roll it into a ball.  




You'll want to place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.  I used my pizza pan because it fits easier into the freezer.  You can get quite a few on the pan.  Then you freeze them for about 10 - 15 minutes.  This makes it easier when you start dipping them in hot, melted chocolate and they stay formed into balls.  Then after the first batch is done, you can start dipping those while your next batch is freezing.  I'm all about streamlining things!


And yes, that is ironic that I'm using our Healthy Choice meals to hold up balls full of sugar, frosting and delicious cake.  I couldn't help taking a picture of it.

After you have those in the freezer it's time to melt your chocolate!  Using the Wilton Candy Melts, we start with melting it in a microwave on 50% power for about 30 seconds.  Then continue by 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one until it's really melted and nice and smooth.  If you want the chocolate thinner, you can add a little bit of shortening and it thins it right out.  Don't be afraid to stop dipping if your chocolate is firming up and reheat it, because the smoother and thinner it is, the smoother the finished dipping look will be.


Make sure to have your sprinkles and decorations on hand, because as soon as you dip them you'll want to decorate them right then so the sprinkles stick in the still melted chocolate.

The blue "Cake Sparkles" were really fun!  The texture kind of reminded me of fish food and brought back a lot of childhood memories of feeding my little goldfish.  Oh, and just remember that if you get Nonpareils (like the white ones shown) they go EVERYWHERE when you shake them out.  Just a warning.
I tried dipping them and then putting them on a cooling rack, but was having problems getting them off the cooling rack because the chocolate would melt around the rack and the ball would break when I tried to remove it.  I ended up just spraying a cookie sheet with a little cooking spray and then placing them on that after I dipped them.  By the time you are done dipping them, the first ones you did will probably be dry.  GENTLY pull them off the cookie sheets and place them into the cupcake liners and there you go!  Patriotic Cake Balls.


For the ones with stripes, you just put a little bit of melted chocolate into a drizzle bottle (you can get them at Michaels) and go to town on these!  Those were actually my favorite ones and they were the easiest to make!
Hope you enjoy these!  


1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to have to try these - and soon! (Have any left secretly hiding in your fridge at home?) ;)

    p.s. I bought some shot glasses at Ikea today to try out your little tutorial below. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete