1.08.2013

Fried Rice Quinoa

Today I had to run an errand that took me right by a Chinese restaurant and it smelled SO good I almost gave in and went and got some even though one of my goals this year is to eat more healthy.  I resisted the craving, finished my errand and got home.  



I still wanted it. 


I've been on a Quinoa kick recently and have been using it to replace rice in some of our favorite meals.  I decided I needed some Fried Rice...I mean, Fried Rice Quinoa.  Since it was one of those "gotta-have-it-now" cravings, I didn't take pictures along the way, but here's how it turned out:


D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.



It satisfied my Chinese food craving, but kept it around 300 calories for the whole bowl.  

Here's what I used in my Fried Rice Quinoa:
  • 1/2 cup Quinoa cooked and cooled (I just cook a lot and keep the extra in the fridge for times like this)
  • 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 1 celery stalk, sliced
  • 1/4 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup canned corn (leftover from enchilada night last night)
  • 1 scrambled egg
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 T. soy sauce
  • 1-2 T. olive oil
  • Onion powder
  • Garlic powder
This was simple to put together.  I heated a small skillet, put in the oil and the veggies I knew would take longer to cook (carrots, celery, peppers).  I sprinkled that with onion powder & garlic powder then sauteed until the veggies were tender.  I like mine with a little crunch so it really only took a couple of minutes.  Then I added the corn, quinoa, eggs and green onions.  I stirred that up and let it cook for a couple minutes to get warmed through, then poured the soy sauce on.  A couple more minutes to make sure everything is nice and mixed and warm and, voila!  Delicious healthy Chinese.  

I just used whatever veggies I had around, so feel free to try it with things you like!  I'd love to hear how it turned out for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment